TRANSITIONING STRATEGIES 4
(Image from Olakunle Soriyan)
4. Choose what’s right before you go for what feels right.
Your feelings are usually overrated! You can rarely trust them. This is because your feeling are generated by chemical or synaptic response to the stimuli in your environment (either internal or external environment)
It is essential that you choose principles over emotions. That has been one of my mantras this year. Many great transitions have been truncated, terminated or misdirected because of gratifying emotional responses instead of strategic adherence to purposeful principles.
Emotion mastery is essential for you to transition adequately. It’s not a luxury but a necessity!
Giving feelings priority over principles has been responsible for many cataclysmic contrivances in the world today. Let me round up with a few examples;
1. Falling in love is emotional, rather choose who you love after your values, ideologies, spirituality and mentality are in sync. (LOVE IS NOT A FEELING, LOVE IS A CHOICE!)
2. Parenting shouldn’t be by default! Many have failed in their parenting responsibilities in this generation because they did what “seems right in their eyes”. There are principles to follow to be a great parent, you can’t just know it except you learn it.
3. Excellence is knowing the difference between what’s right and what feels right. Its a pursuit of what’s needful above what’s convenient.
What you give is what you get! 2016 is around the corner, you must not joke with transition. Its the only road to becoming who you’re meant to become.
My mantras this year have been three viz;
1. Choose purpose over people.
2. Choose principles over emotion.
3. Choose process over prize.
To be continued on the morrow.
Harkheindzel Kenny Omiyale
Development and Empowerment Strategist